
Yep-- we're pregnant! Baby #2 is under construction (almost 11 weeks along now) and we couldn't be more excited, or more ready. Gilbert has been ready since Miles got here, but it took me a full two years to feel like I could a) handle another child and b) go through another birth. As most of you know, I had a pretty traumatic birth with Miles and have no desire to repeat that. Not likely as we are in a different country, will have a different midwife and (hopefully) a new addition to the birth team: Miles! I really hope he'll be able to be there for it, if he's okay with it and wants to be. My guess is that he will. I am planning my little butt off so that I have everything I think I will need to have the birth I want and deserve. Send me good birth vibes in Feb/March (we are due March 2).
We call the baby "little one"-- and Miles talks talks about him/her almost everyday. Hard not to forget when Mama is constantly lying horizontal on the couch whining about how sick she is. I was never this sick with Miles. With him I had no more than 2 weeks where I absolutely had to eat something before getting out of bed or I would be nauseaus-- the rest of the day I was fine. But this time it seems it doesn't matter what I do most days. I am ill and on the verge of throwing up ALL DAY. Whomever coined the term "morning sickness" didn't have what I (and many women) have. As my mom would say, "it was probably a man".
I'm going on week 6 of this horrific, vile state and I really hope it ends soon. As I sit here I am never more than 12 inches from my crackers and plain soda water. I even took anti-nausea meds a handful of times when I was soooo desperate. Like the day Miles was throwing up on the couch AND having diarrhea. Imagine being in charge of that when you can't even keep your own food down.
We were trying to get pregnant so I was on alert, and I knew a good few days before I missed a period-- just had a feeling. And ofcourse we already had the Australia trip planned so I was in a panic about how I was going to get through that traveling without vomiting all over the flight attendants. I made it fine. Then we get there and I was having a good day so Miles and I walked to the park. And what did I see out of the corner of my eye? It was a couple-- he was hugging her and they looked like...maybe they were teenagers in love and making out in the park? Oh how sweet. Wait, no-- I see the poor girl if puking her guts out and taking sips of water. Repeat. I don't know if she was pregnant or what, but all I could think was, "Yes, I feel you. It SUCKS."
I had a great day yesterday and thought maybe it was over. I was singing, dancing, chasing Miles and lovin' him up like I hadn't done in 6 weeks. Then I woke up this morning and realized it was just a tease. But maybe those will come more frequently over the next couple weeks until I am blissfully into the beloved second trimester. I can't wait for that.
I got in to see an OB last week for an initial appointment (he has a 15% c-section rate which is AWESOME for malaysia and us standards, and his wife is a midwife & doula and the only IBCLC in malaysia). He was really great, especially since I told him I really just wanted prenatal care as I was planning a homebirth, and that I would decline any and all tests I didn't feel were medically necessary. His parting words were, "Sounds great, you can get prenatal care with me and deal with the birth on your own. I really hope you get the birth you want." Wow. What a nice guy.
So, of course my bloodwork comes back weird again-- same as last time-- platelets look low (but they're not) since my blood is in a "hypercoagulatory state". Last time a hematologist cleared me and said all was fine it was just a weird version of normal for me-- I expect the same again this time, but in any case the first step is to go get another platelet/clotting planel (lots more blood-- hope I don't pass out) and go from there. I'm not worried, but it is a little annoying.
We've just sent for a bunch more of our boxes that are in Houston storage-- all birth supplies, midwifery texts and breastfeeding supplies, maternity clothes and baby gear. Can't wait to get all that stuff in my hands.
Post more later, I'm starting go down hill again....fast.

3 comments:
Congratulations. That's great news.
I am so excited for you guys. I just really wish you were here to be pregnant with all of in this baby boom. LOL
It sounds like you have found a great OB. I am already sending out the good delivery vibes for you to have the birth you want.
I hope the second trimester finds you feeling a lot better. I know I feel great. I would even forget I was pregnant half the time. Not now, though, with the onset of horrible, horrible heatburn. :P
found you on MDC.com. i did birth work in bali with a great MW and i was in singapore for a while. love that part of the world. congrats on the pregnancy and hope you are feeling better!
Post a Comment